Saturday, March 5, 2011

Principles and Love


Hey all! I know it's been a while since I blogged here. As I had mentioned on my main blog, I had quite an eventful few months. Aside from setting my personal life in order, I have also concentrated on first updating "The Gift of Gab." However, something came across my mind the other day, and I felt it would find a better home on this blog instead.

I am one of probably a couple of hundred real Marlins fans in the South Florida area. When the Miami-Dade County and City of Miami politicians voted to use tourist tax dollars to build the new Marlins stadium (which will be opened in April 2012), I was ecstatic! The location of the new stadium would make it easier for me to attend baseball games (especially when I move to my new apartment once I am married). So, I vowed that I would finally become a Marlins season ticket holder once that stadium opened.

However, late last year, I hit a snag in my "relationship" with that team. It was uncovered that ownership (Jeffrey Loria and David Samson) had lied about profits they had made during the debates and discussions to build the stadium in the area where the Orange Bowl formally stood. I felt betrayed. Long story short, I told myself that as long as this ownership group owned the Marlins, I was not going to pay to see another game again!



A couple of weeks ago, I had to go to the FIU - Biscayne Bay Campus library to find a primary source book for an upcoming research paper. As I was making my way back to West Kendall on the 836 (Dolphin Expressway), I noticed the progress the Marlins stadium had made. I am not going to lie: I got excited again. I was a like a little kid excited for baseball season to come around (if little kids were allowed to be driving on an expressway in Downtown Miami). It made me want to go see professional baseball, and now as the Marlins season is almost upon us, the question is:

Should I allow my love for baseball to overcome the principles I have about honest business dealings?

OR

Should I allow my conscious to control all my decisions, even when it means sacrificing something I love?

It may seem childish to you, the reader, that I call my fanaticism for the sport "love." But I can't think of another word to describe. Sure, it may be slower and more cerebral than other sports are, but something about the game makes me smile, no matter what team is playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment